Following The Art Newspaper's exciting report on the anticipated 2022 completion of the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo Atchugarry in Punta Del Este, Uruguay - we thought it would be useful to pull together a list of some of the other major projects due to open this decade:
- The Edo Museum of West African Art is pencilled in for 2025. Among other things it will host the world's largest collection of Benin Bronzes.
- After some construction delays M+ is due to open in Hong Kong this year. There have already been reports of complications relating to the display of Ai Weiwei's works and those relating to the ongoing political complications in the region. It should be fascinating when it finally opens.
- The Guggenheim, Abu Dhabi, will finally open in 2022. It too suffered construction related delays. Its 13,000 metres of exhibition space in Frank Gehry's stunning building will be used to focus on Middle Eastern, African, and Asian art. Gehry was also behind the LUMA building, which opened in Arles this year.
- The Hermitage Museum's planned Barcelona satellite is still under review, but a 2024 opening date is targeted.
- Norway's National Museum is scheduled for a 2022 opening despite ongoing delays.
[I]t has amassed a collection of more than 500 works by artists such as Frank Stella, Vik Muniz, Louise Nevelson and Joaquín Torres-García